Fifty Shades of Grey

I don't normally read things off the 'best-seller's' list. If I do, then it's either by recommendation or I'm so completely bored with everything else that I need to indulge myself in the commercial world of writing. But I'm still uncertain as to what possessed me to pick up Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James. My excuse, which is the whole honest truth, is that I saw it on Amazon's 'Top 10 List', didn't read the reviews, barely skimmed through the book cover summary before I read it. So, in all honesty, I didn't know what I was in for.
Quite like the female protagonist, Anastasia Steele, a twenty-one year old soon-to-be college graduate who stumbles into the office of a mega-rich modern day Adonis named Christian Grey. She is instantly attracted to him, what with all his to-die for looks and secret-hiding smiles. She doesn't know it, but he becomes just as, or much more, smitten by her. Quite soon he makes an 'indecent proposal', revealing to her that he is a 'dominant' and would like to make her his 'submissive'. There's a contract and everything, which details the terms of their arrangement. *represses shudder* Anastasia considers it all while Christian inducts her slowly into his lifestyle. She's curious about him. She wants to walk away but realizes that she likes him, and how he makes her feel, too much to do so. Despite her misgivings and warnings from her room-mate. He is stark honest about what he wants from her, lays down ground rules (no touching, no looking in the eye, being the nicest ones), and quite fully expects her to comply. She puts up a bit of a fight before she gives in.

I cannot give this book raving reviews. It's impossible to. I didn't enjoy reading it because it isn't my genre, first of all, and it pushes me out of my comfort zone of, even, indulgent reading! I believe I've realized what my limits are - historical romances are as far into the carnal/erotic romances I shall ever go. This should be understandable considering I'm one that trolled, somewhat dispiritedly, through D. H. Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover!
The character of Christian Grey is mysterious and very Mars- read an 'interview' with him here. He has a troubled past, one of his main attractions other than the obvious physical allure. A twenty-seven year old man who talks as if he belongs to a previous century, who makes cold and calculated business decisions and yet succumbs to the 'charm' of a mousy college student whose only intention was to interview him for a school newspaper! The character of  Anastasia Steele.... She begins sensibly, goes into this stereotypical romance novel heroine who falls head over heels in love, obviously, with the wrong type of right man, then wanders into the area of general common sense. There are several lines of morality she crosses in her head, her 'inner-goddess' and 'subconscious' play important roles here. No feminist would go with certain aspects of her character, but I think, overall, she somewhat redeems herself, even though you might end up shaking your head at her more than a few times. Either way, I don't understand the whole 'pain and pleasure' thing, neither do I get the 'thou shalt obey all I say'. It doesn't sounds right. This is not the feminist in me talking, it's just the human in me. I grant the author the thoughtfulness of having added an actual love story into this glaring sexual affair of a novel. There is some sense in it.

Without going into the details of this hormonally charged piece of writing, which was originally born from 'Twilight' fan-ficiton, I will say that it's rather impressive the following the writer has gathered. This genre of fiction has remained at bay, with most of the works being published by smaller publishers. It's not literature, but it's a story and does develop a cult following if people take to it.

I'm not certain I want to complete the trilogy but it is the curious book-reader in me that wants to know the ending (this book ends on a note of content and high emotions). These are the times in which I despise the fact that I can't put down a book once I've started it. I may skip pages, because some scenes, while not too graphic, are a bit cringe-worthy. Perhaps it's the willingness to experiment, in what should be termed atrocious and is illegal even if consensual, that brings about the cringing.
Maybe it's time for me to stick with the classics and give up all other genres for a little bit while I gather up my senses and tell myself that there are good writers and good books and good stories that I can still like and fall in love with.
It's an entertaining read for those who like these sort of books, and are okay with the genre they are put into, but if you're like me - an appreciator of literature and language and believe that story telling requires a bit more than just mere talent (or necessary ability, coming down a notch) of stringing words together to make a story, you might want to channel your energies else where. I'm going to douse myself with Jane Austen to get over this. She never disappoints.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen

The Magician's Death

There & Back Again