From the Pool into the Ocean


By now, it ought to be obvious to anyone that is even remotely acquainted with me that I am addicted to swimming.
It is my one vice that I latched on to some eight years ago, and nothing else has come even close to giving me the same type of elation or satisfaction. But this post is not about swimming or pools. It is about how that addiction grew, rather, leaped into my latest hobby. Scuba diving.

Photo by Mitchel Wijt on Unsplash
Snorkeling fascinates me, though I’ve never done it. Going anywhere that I can’t see the bottom simply terrorizes me. And yet, in March 2019 I received my PADI Open Water Diver certification, and just three days ago, after 9 dives, also got my Dry Suit Specialty certification.
Photo by Emily Morter on Unsplash
Why did I do it? I, who finds touching crabs distasteful and downright creepy, genuinely shocked by anything with tentacles, cringing at the sight of grey shrimp and scaly fish. What could have possibly possessed me to fling myself into an undertaking that requires a human to be in places they aren’t meant to be, breathing from a limited supply of air, wearing and carrying things that could only possibly result in one sinking?
I think it is born from my curiosity and utter fascination of the unknown. And because it isn’t easy.
am perfectly comfortable and rather pliable in the water. So throwing on a wet suit, a BCD, regulator and mask, while slightly foreign, wasn’t too bad. Swimming to the bottom of a 12-ft pool and breathing underwater was a bit disconcerting, but I began to enjoy the feeling of never surfacing to take a breath. That’s when I had my first panic attack.
One of the first skills I was asked to practice was mask removal and replacement. 20 seconds without my mask with my eyes closed (owing to contact lenses), at 12-ft of dept, I inhaled water through my nostrils and thought I was going to drown. I rushed to the surface, gasping, coughing and sputtering. My diving instructor and divemaster rushed up with me gently told me off, listened to my breathless explanation of the unnaturalness of the situation, and took me right back under. I aced every other skill and even received, what can only be taken as, a compliment, “your lung to body ratio is large”.
By the end of my first four-hour confined dive, I’d listed out all possibilities of how I would meet my untimely demise while underwater.
I did quite alright during the next three sessions and felt a lot more at ease.
My first test of wits was a week later, at 40ft during my checkout dive. 
Image result for diving peaceThe moment I was fully submerged, teetering between the edges of floating and sinking at the same time. My instructor had to stop to help a dive-buddy who was having a tough time and eventually abandoned the dive altogether, but I just hung there 20-feet underwater, air bubbles fizzing, a gentle unexplainable hum and the sound of my own breathing. All I noticed was the strangest blues and green around me. I was at complete peace.
Getting through each of the skills required, emerging completely shuddering to the bone with blue toes… my buoyancy was off, I was kicking up silt and using far too much air, but it was still peaceful. The anemone, fish, variety of crab, swaying kelp, strange ribbons of slime, sea mollusks (Nudibranchs), debris from an old boat, stood almost still. It was a whole different world of pale blue and ash, pops of color caught in the briefest rays of the sun that managed to make it 50-ft under. It was absolutely breathtaking.

I emerged exhilarated, cold and numb-limbed. There was a panic attack waiting to happen and when it did, at 60-ft under, my dive-buddy calmly looked me in the eye as he tried to calm me down. My brain was thinking a hundred thoughts of the stupidity of my position. In less than 30 seconds, but what seemed like an absolute lifetime, here’s a gist of what went through my brain.
I shouldn’t be there, it’s not where humans are supposed to be. I can’t breathe underwater; oh god it’s cold!; why did I convince myself this is a good idea; can I remove the regulator for just a moment?; my throat is dry; what’s that sound?; 
I can’t feel my toes, oh wait, there it is; can I just surface? how much longer? I can’t see beyond my own arm. What am I doing? The water is compressing! If there’s an earthquake, I’ll be swallowed right in, with the gushing water! 
What if I get stung by a jellyfish? Or get stuck on a that stone there? What if I tread on a living creature? No one hear me if I scream! What the hell… 
That crab is looking at me! Oh! And that school of fish is pretending they don’t see me. That’s a fun looking ‘nudi’. I wonder if it knows it looks pretty.


Three months after I became PADI Open Water certified, I went back to gain my Dry Suit Specialty.



I’ve only got 10 dives to my name now, all cold water, but I have enjoyed each of them to a different degree. I look forward to every dive with a complete lack of trepidation and bubbling with excitement. I have discovered a world that is pure, peculiar, and writhing with life, hidden from everyday view and still a big part of it.

What I applied to this was genuinely just my heart and mind. A lot of self-motivation and sarcasm, educating oneself of the mystery so it isn’t as daunting as when I was ignorant (and no, ignorance isn’t bliss!), and the plain old sense of belonging and feeling comfortable doing something just beyond normal reach. It’s a failing in me, the need to learn and do, but it has served me well. 
  • Be curious. Explore!
  • Know your limits and embrace it.
  • Look, watch and learn from the random beauty around you.
  • The unknown eventually does win you over.
The nerve to go indulge and do something different is one you’ve to pluck for yourself, and I am glad I did. I have a newfound respect for divers and am in awe of underwater life and I can’t wait to continue my adventures and exploration.

My special, heartfelt thanks to my instructors (Dena & Scott) and dive team (Maddy, Milo, Zack, Nicole) at Seattle Dive Tours for their patience and passion for the underworld. I couldn’t have asked for a better group to be inducted into diving with!

Photo by Dalelan Anderson on Unsplash





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen

The Magician's Death

There & Back Again