Day 9: A Tale of Two Cities

Day 9: A book I thought I wouldn't like but ended up loving

Charles Dickens was forced upon me as a child. I believe it was my grandfather's doing. The Adventures of Oliver Twist was a favorite, Little Dorrit, A Christmas Carol and David Copperfield were others that I read on my own. I drew the line at Great Expectations and so was rather wary when I picked up A Tale of Two Cities. I loved it.
It's a bit of a drag, but luckily for me, I was reading about the French Revolution at the same time I began the book.
I liked the characterization - still do - and the history that is in this novel. Charles Darnay and Sidney Carton, though not my favorite fictional characters by any means, still remain embedded in my memory if only for their lives and the ending.
Book the Third: The Track of a Storm is my obvious favorite and I'm not sure I would've liked to have read it in its original form of weekly installments.
While I still look upon this book as one that forced me to, literally, create my own set of SparkNotes, just so I could understand the novel properly, it is definitely a book that I never thought I would love.

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen

The Magician's Death

There & Back Again