Day 11: Twilight (series)

Day 11: A Book I Hate


Given the number of books I read it should be that I come across at least one that I absolutely hated reading. If asked, I would immediately say that anything in the 'romance' genre I hate; to be more specific, anything other than historical romances in the romance genre, I hate. And yes, the Twilight series falls into that category.

I read the books right after Breaking Dawn came out, and the only reason I even knew of it at the time was because my sister was quite into Edward Cullen at that point. This was before the mad following it eventually garnered. Anyway. So I read the books in less than a week and can honestly say I didn't like them at all. I grew to hate it after the movie came out.

The Twilight series is meant to be a young adult series by Stephanie Meyer, who has a style of story telling that can never be called 'literature'. It's just story telling. I'm sorry to be harsh, but it is true. The story is that of a teenage girl, Bella, who falls in love with a vampire, Edward, and, eventually, a werewolf, Jacob, who then falls in love with Bella's and Edward's daughter. It's a bit convoluted, but there. There are a lot of supporting characters that provide for some comical relief from the 'Oh Edward I love you', 'Bella, I love you too', 'Oh Edward make me a vampire', 'No, I will not make you a monster', 'I hate you!' 'I still love you'...... you get the point, right? Then there's the governing body of the vampire community that Bella and Edward get into a spot with, and the werewolves, who hate vampires, and smaller vampire families that avenge the death of someone in their circle by waging a war on the responsible other family, and quite obviously everything surround or concerns Bella, the only human in the whole world that entices a vampire.

I'm a vampire purist, Bram Stoker's Dracula and John Polidori's The Vampyre being my guiding lights here. Anne Rice and Stephen King too have given vampirism the literary respect it deserves. I found the Sookie Stackhouse series much better written than the Twilight series. I understand that the writing I speak of are all meant for adults while Meyer wrote for a younger audience. I'm fine with that, but then I also speak as one that read Dracula as a teenager, so I guess my expectations were pretty high.
I commend Stephanie Meyer on her story telling skills, it's just the writing that I dislike. But that's just me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen

The Magician's Death

There & Back Again