Day 2: North & South

Day 2: A Book I've Read At Least 3 Times

Apparently I have a thing for books by authors who are no longer living. Quite naturally they are all at least a century old. Pro-feminist novels of the time definitely have my attention, but it is the literature that keeps me.
North & South by Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell (see my previous review) is an industrial novel set in the fictional town of Milton, in northern England. The main aspect of this book, and the writing, is the passion in it. The passion for life, or the lack of it.
The class and cultural differences of the time are clearly laid out before the reader. There is descriptive power in every word and all of the characters are uniquely defined. It is one of my all time favorite books, so it is no wonder that I've read it more than 3 times.
Mr. Thornton is an amazing man and I love this book more for him.
The story might drag along for some, but almost every aspect of living in an industrial town is covered. Beginning from the dark and dreary environment, to the cold, unforgiving weather conditions, and the workplace (mills, here) itself. The demeanor of the people in the town are in sync with it all. There is drama and tragedy. There is love and the loss of hope. And there is life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen

The Magician's Death

There & Back Again