Musicals!

I haven't watched a lot of musicals, truth be told, but those I have watched I have loved! The Sound of Music, The Lion King, Mary Poppins, Oliver!, Grease, Chicago,and  West Side Story being some that I can recall at this moment. My most recent flirtation with a musical was Jane Austen's Persuasion. Funky, right? :)


Anyway, a few days back, I said the words, "reviewing the situation" to someone and it set into motion this particular series of memories and I, being one of those that loves almost anything to do with books, went on a musical spree. Here are some of my favorites.


Reviewing the Situation - Oliver Twist


Ron Moody, who played Fagin in the 1968 movie, made me love Oliver Twist - which isn't, if you come to think of it, a very endearing read for an eight year old!







Be Prepared - The Lion King


Jeremy Irons' voice send shivers down my spine whether he's talking or singing, and he deserves due recognition for being the perfect Scar. The Broadway version is spectacular, but here's the song from the movie, because nothing can beat Mr. Irons' voice.







Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious - Mary Poppins


I didn't like the movie, loved the play and this song. Why? Because it was a big word and for the longest time I was the only one in my class who could say AND spell it :) (I could also say it backwards)







The Phantom of the Opera - The Phantom of the Opera


While I Tarja Turunen's gothic take on this very gothic play, the original song is creepy on its own terms!







Macavity: The Mystery Cat - Cats


T. S. Eliot's poem was my favorite in middle school, and when I found out that it was also a song in Cats, well... I loved it even more :)







There are songs from The Fantastiks and Beauty and the Beast, and several other musicals that I know songs from, that should be on this post, but for the sake of simplicity and keeping it short I will stop with my top five.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen

The Magician's Death

There & Back Again