Fitzwilliam Darcy: Gentleman

If the reality that I've read nearly 10 Austen spin-offs (I will not take into account the Austen books I have read this year), of which 8 are based on P & P, in 9 months doesn't cement the fact that I am addicted to Jane Austen, and Mr. Darcy is my idea of a perfect gentleman (and my man, of course), then I don't know what will.
Though Jules Verne is undoubtedly the one who opened to me the gates of literature, Jane Austen will always be credited as the one who held me, inspired me, and fascinated me. This, not just because she is one of the best authors ever, or the fact that she had strong feminine lead characters - being a feminist I quite naturally like that -, but more because of her way with words, which I am sure all book nerds will agree with.
And because I am such an addict and Austen nerd, and because I love the English language and mannerisms of the 19th century, I've always been a bit wary of reading spin-offs. Some have disappointed me hugely, others have had me nodding my head in approval. This trilogy, Fitzwilliam Darcy: Gentleman, by Pamela Aidan has my approval.
Aimed to provide the reader of one of the most well known literary romances through the eyes of Mr. Darcy, it is split into three parts: An Assembly Such As This - which deals with Darcy's arrival in Hertfordshire unto the point when Bingley departs for London; Duty and Desire - covering all that happens in Darcy's life in his absence from P & P; These Three Remain - taking off from Darcy's arrival at Rosing's to the end.
It portrays Darcy as the man he is supposed to be but with much more depth. His thoughts and feelings are rampant throughout the series. His words, whether of normal conversation, anger or of love, are passionate, with intelligence and the good-breeding he is proud of. His relationship with other people, those from P & P and new characters, Georgiana, Colonel Fitzwilliam, Lord Dyfed Brougham, his aunt and uncle Matlock, some friends from university, an old flame, are all explained with careful detail as Darcy comes alive in the mind of the reader.
The first book of the trilogy, An Assembly Such As This, is insightful in that we understand Darcy's feelings towards Bingley and his sisters, his devotion and love for his sister, as the seeds of regard and affection for Elizabeth are sown. His life as a wealthy gentleman who took up the reigns of master to his father's estate as a young man, his responsibility to society and his family name, are given ample importance as his character is constructed with care. His involvement in separating Bingley from the Bennet family serves as the end to this part of the story. The writing in this novel is heavily borrowed from P&P; it retains the original narrative but inserts Darcy's point of view quite like what a die-hard reader would expect. There are no bumpy dialogues, no stupid implications, just the first part of the story from a different perspective.
The second novel begins with him deciding to find himself a wife, to get Elizabeth out of his system. Mr. Darcy is on the hunt and there are many that are willing prey. The machinations of his valet, who proves to be a good friend and confidant to his master when his friends are not around, are commendable as he serves as a reminder to Darcy whom his heart truly desires. I found this book a little tedious. There's the insertion of a mystery as Darcy is taken in by the charms of a sister of an old friend, though his prowess as a swordsman and a gentleman show. As someone who thinks Darcy is the example of a perfect man, his intelligence in this novel are questionable, though his intentions remain noble. For most part. While the story is not what you would want while wading through P&P, it helps you understand what we think may have been Darcy's life.
The third book, These Three Remain, is partly my favorite of the series. I particularly loved how the author takes us through Darcy's process of proposing to Elizabeth. His courting of her, his anticipation of the moment, his pain and utter desolation at her refusal are brilliantly portrayed. I felt his pain as my own. Through the first two books you are aware of Darcy's growing feelings towards Elizabeth, and for his sake want her to know and understand him. He places his life in her hands, and makes no excuses for having wanted to do so. His road to accepting her refusal and yet denying that he had been wronged by her is very sentimental and passionate even, but the repetition of certain emotions - like those of Elizabeth's refusal of him - is rather tiresome. Once you wade past those sentences, it is all very romantic. I grew to love Darcy more through the course of this novel, if that's even possible. The ending was a bit quick, in my opinion - he proposes in one page and two or three turns later, they're married and all's done. I would've loved to have more banter between Elizabeth and Darcy, no matter how taciturn he is considered. But I am content with the number of times I felt butterflies in my stomach as I read through the series.
I think Mr. Darcy is perfection itself, for all that he is, and this series definitely does justice to it. While nothing can ever compare to the original, Mr. Darcy came to me more alive and real in Pamela Aidan's words. For all the flutters and swings of sentiment, this remains one of the best spin-offs of any book I've ever read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen

The Magician's Death

There & Back Again