Captain Wentworth's Diary

Jane Austen is was is a genius. Her writing takes you into a world with characters that every girl wishes were real, especially the male protagonists even though all of the stories are told from the female perspective. Captain Wentworth's Diary is one of many of Amanda Grange's books that attempts to give fans the other side of the story, the thoughts running through the minds of the man that many of us believe could be the man of our dreams!

I liked Mr. Darcy's Diary, but disliked Mr. Darcy, Vampyre, so I was a little skeptical about reading another of Grange's books. To my extreme delight, I was not disappointed. This book gives you Captain Wentworth's side of the happenings of Persuasion in a very modest and sentimental way that may have made Austen proud of her creations. It is insightful enough and stays true to the story and its gaps that fully believe that Captain Wentworth maintained this diary himself. You catch a glimpse into the passion an Austen hero holds within him for the woman he truly loves. There are no frills, it's all so pure and true and perfect.

My favorite part of the book would have to be the beginning - the first courtship between Wentworth and Anne. I love the attempts made by Wentworth to be with Anne, and her joy at being recognized and knowledge that she is worthy of being loved by someone so wholly. We know Anne's side of the story, but, as with all of Austen's novels, one is left longing to know what went through the man's head! I believe that the author has accomplished that with ease in this book.

It took me a day to finish reading this book and I thoroughly enjoyed it, the Austen-holic that I am :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen

The Magician's Death

There & Back Again