Day 20: A Song I Listen To When I'm Angry

Master Passion Greed by Nightwish from Dark Passion Play (2009)

It reeks of rage and anger and raw, intense power - in the harsh-ish vocals and drums and guitar riffs. Perfect, don't you think?


Following the exit of Tarja Turunen, Tuomas Holopainen, the marvelous poet that he is, wrote about how much pain she caused the band, and how they are coping with it. This song is a gathering of those feelings; Bye Bye Beautiful is the other. Following is an excerpt from Bye Bye Beautiful.




Did you ever hear what I told you? Did you ever read what I wrote you? Did you ever listen to the words we played? Did you ever let in what the world said? Did we get this far just to feel your hate? Did we become only pawns in the game? How blind can you be, don't you see? You chose the long road but we'll be waiting!



His expertise with song writing and music in general speaks volumes of his talents. And Marco Hietala. Ah, what can I say about this man that I have not said before? I love his voice. He has such a range of emotions that he portrays with seeming ease (I especially love the transitions between that sort of light ironic tone, to a conversational one, to the full fledged anger, realization and acceptance), and with Emppu Vuorinen the pair are killer guitarists! I must say here that while I do prefer Tarja as a vocalist, I find that I have listened to this album more than any of their others and Anette Olzon has done a darn good job of filling in Tarja's shoes.


I think I can identify with this song on mainly the levels of anger and the loss of hope. There are several lines in this that just hold me - all classic examples of Tuomas' writing. And the last line of the song just releases me - as do those last few minutes with the double bass and heavy drums coupled with trumpet like sounds and guitar riffs.




All within me gone but pain and hope, hoping that that pain would fade away.


With awakening the tears will begin; To my ever last shame, silence took me!






Who the hell are you to tell me,
What to do, why to do, why bother
Leech in a mask of virtue
Such waste, to ever think of you again
Hey Judas, your Christess was our love
Hit and run, your will be done
Never sorry, never wrong
More more more more more


Master Passion Greed, Master Passion Greed

"Hello. How are you?
Let me explain one thing.
All for her and more for me
Why is it so hard to see?
I see no sense in doing this,
Not enough for me,
I fuck up everything but let me explain"

Some, day, some day you shall flee panting and weak

Master Passion Greed, Master Passion Greed
Master Passion Greed, Master Passion Greed

All within me gone but pain and hope
Hoping that the pain would fade away

Greed, your master passion
I feed the mouth that bites me
Mammon, opiate of the masses
The reek of your lies draws flies

Seek her, seduce her, tame her
Blame her, have her, kill her
Seek her, seduce her, tame her
Blame her, feast on it all

Seek her, seduce her, tame her
Blame her, have her, kill her
Seek her, seduce her, tame her
Blame her, feast on it all

With awakening the tears will begin
To my everlasting shame silence took me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen

The Magician's Death

There & Back Again