The Perfect Poison

The Perfect Poison, an Arcane Society novel, is set in a gothic like late Victorian England was a fun read for me. It was quick, simple and well written enough for me to complete in a single day.
I thought it would get monotonous,boring and unbelievable when I realized that the characters were psychic - inadvertently I thought of sorry plight of vampires in today's literature, it just saddened me. Surprisingly I wasn't disappointed. Jayne Ann Krentz, under the pseudonym of Amanda Quick, dishes out a decently sane novel, with a nice serving of botanical interests, though again psychically oriented, and a good understanding of Victorian society!

As is well known, I generally stay away from the romance genre on principle (I prefer classic romance and occasionally foray into historical romance but that's it), but I liked this novel because of the storyline and characters. There was a decent amount of depth in the characters of Caleb Jones and Lucinda so as to keep me turning the pages to reach the end. The deaths and investigation that introduces the protagonists of the novel are also believable, so I went along with my instinct and read the book. It isn't one of those tasteless or senseless romance novels. There's actually logic in this. It may not always seem sensible, but there is enough to keep a serious reader like me hooked on to it.

The language and behavior of characters, all of them, may not be very accurate, but it's spirited and fun to read. I liked it enough that I might just read another Amanda Quick novel soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen

The Magician's Death

There & Back Again