Day 26: A Song I Can Play On An Instrument

Lux Æterna by Clint Mansell and the Kronos Quartet from Requiem for a Dream (2000)

I've wanted to learn how to the play the piano from even before I wanted to sing. Unfortunately, it has never really taken shape in the way I wanted it, but I did manage to teach myself to some extent! My Dad bought me a miniature Casio, one of those kiddie ones with about 15 keys, and I began to play by ear. Any and every song that I loved, I would play. In more recent times I've been playing full length songs off of my favorite albums, even if just with a single hand and no sheet music (I can't read music :P)


One of the best leitmotifs composed, this is a song I've obsessed about since I heard it. I think I have some 5 different versions of the song, including the one used as Requiem for a Tower in the trailer for The Two Towers (LOTR), an orchestal version and a live version by the Quartet. My point is, I love this track! It's brilliantly epic and I can see a whole battle, of armies, of emotions, being played out in about 6 minutes.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen

The Magician's Death

There & Back Again